Indian Cauliflower Patties
These Indian cauliflower patties are loaded with fragrant flavor and are vegan, gluten-free and low carb. They are perfect as an appetizer or served as a main. Make 12 palm-sized patties.
- 1 large Cauliflower
- 1 medium brinjal/eggplant/aubergine
- 1 medium onion (red/white)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 piece ginger (3/4 size of your thumb length)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- cooking oil
- 4 tbsp chickpea flour can sub with regular flour
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds (or powder)
- 1 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1 tsp garam masala or curry powder
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes or cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp mango powder
- 1 tsp salt
Dice onion, ginger, and garlic. In a pan, heat some oil on medium and cook the onions until they appear glassy or semi-translucent. Place all the spices BESIDES the salt, mango powder and chili flakes in a small container. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then add the measured out spices. Cook for another 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Cut the roasted brinjal and cauliflower into smaller pieces and add to a food processor. Pulse until combined. Add the onion mix, pulse. Add the mango powder, chickpea flower, and lemon juice and pulse.
Heat 1/2cm or 1/8 inch oil on medium-high. Form the mixture into pattie shapes and once oil is hot fry for 2 minutes on either side until golden brown. Remove from the oil and place on papwer towels or brown paper to absorb the extra oil.
Serve warm with a dipping sauce or on it's own.
- Turmeric and mango powder are optional.
- You can use normal all purpose flour if you don't have chickpea flour.
- You can bake these. If you do, lightly spray a baking tray with oil and spray the top of the patties with oil. Bake at 400F for 20-30 minutes.
- You can make these spicier by adding chopped chillis into the mix.