There is something so refreshing about starting a new year. New ideas, new goals, new challenges, new adventures, new recipes. Here is my first 2019 recipe I created using ingredients I have at home. For this entire week, my personal challenge is to use up everything before doing a weekly shop the weekend.
I love a good burger, and I’m sure you do too. Using ingredients you have lying around in your cupboards, you will find some gems that can be made into some delicious creations. Okay, so maybe that’s just me who wants to be creative and think how I can use up ingredients, but that’s why I’m here to make that part easy for you.
Every January you will read, see and hear about weigh loss challenges all around you and while you might be afraid to take the plunge, what is holding you back? For me, losing weight all those years ago when I first went vegan made me want to stick to this lifestyle even more and this was before I even knew how to cook.
This January I challenge you to try Veganary. What is that? Well it’s an eating vegan for the month of January challenge. Too late to start? Never! The best time to start is now, whether it’s January or December. And when you feel like things are getting tough, reach out and let’s support one another through this. I’ve been there and I know it sucks to do it alone.
Are you ready? Start with making a batch of these bad boys. Simple, tasty, healthy, filling and multi purpose vegan burger patties.
Killa brown rice and eggplant vegan burger patty
- 1 whole Eggplant
- 1 Cup Brown rice
- 1 Can Black beans
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder or fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/8 tsp Chipotle Chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius.
- Slice eggplant thinly, lay out on a clean cloth or paper towel and sprinkle with salt. This removes excess water. Dab water drops off eggplant, add a dash of olive oil to a baking tray and line the eggplant on the tray. Bake for 20minutes.
- Cook rice – 1 cup rice + 1 3/4 cup water + 1/2 tsp salt, bring to boil uncovered then lower heat and cover for 15-20minutes.
- Once the eggplant has cooked through, remove from oven and add to the blender or bowl with the chia, salt and spices. Using the pulse feature blend in short bursts until puree (baby food) or mash with a fork until chunky.
- Wash and drain your beans thoroughly.Add one cup of the cooked rice and the can of black beans to your blender/bowl. And pulse again for a few seconds, the purpose is to make a binding mixture that holds together.
- In a mixing bowl combine the binding mixture and the remaining rice and corn flour. Stir through well. The mixture should be quite wet and holding together.
- Form into patties and line the baking tray (it should still be oily from cooking the eggplant).
- Bake for 20minutes, flip patties after 20 and bake for another 10minutes.Ta-daaaaa you now have beautiful, yummy patties that are perfect for burgers, sandwiches, wraps or salads. Enjoy!