Make this vegan Dahl recipe with only 10 ingredients
I’m a lover of Indian food. The intense flavors and all make using natures plants always amazes me. This vegan Dahl recipe has only 10 ingredients yet it has bold flavors. I love the ginger bits in it.
When making this it make 4-6 servings so it’s perfect for left over lunches or meal prep. Add some rice or Indian spiced roasted potatoes for a complete meal.
This Dahl recipe is:
- high in protein
- mildly spicy
- immune boosting
- easy to make
- gluten free
I don’t use green split peas very often when I cook. Yet, I really should. They are a wonderful source of fibre, protein and high in vitamins and minerals. What more could one want from a budget friendly food?
Dahl in one two three…
First off, start with cooking your green split peas in 3 cups water and 1 tsp salt.
Fry the onions and then add the spices and after a few minutes the tomato.
Once cooked add the green split peas to the onion and spices. Add a cup of water, 1 tsp salt and simmer for 10 minutes.
It’s really that simple and in under 1 hour you have an amazing pot of food that will impress anyone.
Serve alone as a soup or with steamed rice, roasted spiced potatoes or Indian flat bread. Garnish with fresh coriander to finish off this beautiful Indian meal.
Vegan Indian Dahl Recipe
- 2 pots
- 1 knife
- 1 cup Green split peas
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander
- In a large pot add 1 Cup green split peas and 3 cups water with a dash of salt. Bring to the boil for 15-20 minutes until they are soft.
- Chop the onion, tomato and ginger into bits and crush the garlic unless using bottles garlic.
- In a 2nd pot, head the 1 Tbsp oil and add the 1 chopped onion.
- Once the onion is almost translucent add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander and chili flakes. The aroma is magical!
- Next add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Once the split peas are ready, add these to the spices and onion mix. Add a cup of water and the 1tsp salt. let this simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve alone or with rice/spiced potatoes/roti
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
If you give this recipe a go, let me know what you think. I love hearing from you. If you would like some more meal ideas be sure to follow me on instagram and facebook.
Who is your favorite food bloggers out there? I have quite a few I’m obsessed over. Lately I’m loving trying out recipes from My New Roots cookbook.
Until next time – happy cooking