My relationship with pancakes
I have a history with pancakes. Making pancakes became a weekend thing when I lived in Cape Town. My roommate would suggest pancakes almost every weekend and as a result the tradition was born. Saturday or Sunday morning meant one of us would make pancakes. Pancake feasts were a thing. I didn’t realize how much of a ritual it had become until I noticed I was making them every weekend in our new home. Therefore, I feel its only right if I introduce you to the only vegan pancake recipe you will ever need. May the tradition continue.
My cousin who is a chef and went to culinary school said these were the best pancakes he had ever had. I had to make them for him three mornings in a row when he visited us. Therefore trust me when I say bookmark it and try it out.
I love trying new pancake toppings. Coconut cream and strawberries are a traditional but when I do feel like adding something different, I give these combinations a try:
- Blueberry and kiwi’s
- Coconut cream and chocolate chips
- Peanut butter, banana and agave
- Chocolate sauce and raspberries
What’s your favorite combination?
Bonding over pancakes
I have always loved connecting with friends and family over food. Making a home made meal and having friends over is something I would do any day over going to a local spot. Especially when pancakes are involved. Who’s with me on this?
About the recipe
This vegan pancake recipe is light and fluffy. It can be made with an all purpose gluten free flour if that’s your thing. It’s not overly sweet and makes enough for four really hungry herbivores or six servings.
I love using a good quality flour so I try and use https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Organic-White/dp/B008234BMU/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&dpID=411i6i5T4bL&dpPl=1&keywords=bobs%20red%20mill%20flour&qid=1548530153&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_4_a_it&sr=8-4 this one.
What are you waiting for? Check your pantry and try these out. Don’t forget to snap a pic and share/review your thoughts here and on Instagram @the_hungry_herbivore your feedback helps me to always be better. Hungry for more? Why not try out my eggless quiche: http://thehungryherbivore.com/eggless-vegan-quiche/
Best Vegan Pancakes
- 2 Cups All purpose flour or Gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 Cups Almond milk or any plant based milk
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp Baking powder
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Chia seeds optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or extract
- In a bowl, add you flour, coconut sugar, salt, baking powder and chia seeds.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to your plant based milk and let it stand for 2-5minutes.
- Add your melted coconut oil and vanilla to your milk mix, then start pouring into the flour mix.
- Whisk the batter until well combined. If it’s too thick you can add a 2-3tbsp water. It will bubble as the vinegar reacts with the baking powder and this is perfect for creating fluffy pancakes.
- Put your stove onto a medium heat. Spray you pan with some oil and spoon your pancake mix into the pan.
- Cook until you see bubble forming on top of the pancake, then flip and cook for another 30 seconds until golden brown.
- Serve up with some fresh fruit, maple syrup and coconut cream.