I warn you, I’m all about the pasta life right about now. In my attempt to make pasta a healthy dinner option, I created this delicious kale and tomato Mac n cheese. Who can resist Mac n cheese right?
Kale and tomato combo
I never realized how good kale and tomato would go together. I’ve been on a kale train ever since I get 2 huge bunches a week in my veggie box.
For this Mac n cheese I pan fried the kale with some garlic and soy sauce. The cherry tomatoes are pan roasted with a little bit of oil and pepper. It’s that simple.
It’s all about the cheese sauce
Of course I used my favorite Mac n cheese sauce which should be a weekly staple in everyone’s home because seriously it’s healthy and just bloody delicious. The Mac n cheese sauce makes enough for 4-6 servings so you can easily cook more kale and tomatoes if you need to cook for more or cut the sauce recipe in half.
Healthy Mac n cheese?
Yep, I kid you not this Mac n cheese is full of vitamins and nutrients. It has 12g of protein and this will be more if you use a lentil or chickpea gluten free pasta. I’m so excited that I have to share with you this table so you can tell I’m not lying when I say this is jam packed with nutrients.
One can definitely thank the kale and tomato for all their vitamins but lets not forget the cheese sauce is also potato and carrot based so each of these contribute to it being a well rounded meal.
This kale and tomato Mac n cheese is:
- Can be Gluten free
- Soy free (if using Tamari or liquid aminos)
If you’re a pasta and Mac n cheese lover, give this easy recipe a go. It takes 30-45 minutes between making the cheese sauce, pan frying the kale, roasting the cherry tomatoes and cooking the pasta.
Kale and tomato Mac n cheese
- Pan and a pot
- Blender for the cheese
See link in noted for cheese sauce recipe.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce tamari or liquid aminos for GF
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 pkt cherry tomatoes (250g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1.5 cups Pasta or gluten free pasta of choice
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups boiling water
- Bring a pot of hot water to the boil. Peel potatoes and carrots for the cheese sauce.
- Add the remaining ingredints for the cheese sauce to a blender.
- Chop the kale, crush the garlic and wash the cherry tomatoes.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the crushed garlic and the kale. put the lid on the pan for 2-3minutes. Then remove and add the soy sauce/tamari. Reduce heat and leave for 5 minutes to cook.
- In another pan, heat oil and add the cherry tomatoes and grind pepper over them.
- Drain potatoes and carrots once cooked (must be able to stick a fork into them easily).
- Boil new water with salt for the pasta.
- Add the potatoes and carrots to the blender and blend on high. Follow cheese instructions.
- Drain pasta, mix in cheese sauce. Plate and add your kale and roasted cherry tomatoes on top. Enjoy
If you give this a try, please give me a rating and share with me on instagram @the_hungry_herbivore I would love to know what you think.
Happy August and until next time, happy cooking.