If you haven’t already noticed, I’ve been on a berry roll this week! Whats not to love about all things berry?
I had a craving for a pastry and decided to hop into the kitchen and give it a go not know what would be created. I’ve always wanted to create a vegan croissant and so that was my inspiration for these chocolate raspberry buns. But, I won’t lie, this is definitely not a croissant!
The end result reminded me of a sweet bread similar to a cinnabun. We all love those right? This chocolate raspberry bun is a great sweet treat for any occasion. The bun itself is light and comforting. I almost devoured 2 when they came out the oven without the chocolate topping. The kitchen smelled amazing!
The combination of chocolate and raspberry works so well together. Not to mention the beautiful pink color brings dark chocolate to life.
Are these Chocolate raspberry buns easy to make?
Yes, you don’t need to be a kitchen whiz to make these. If you have all the ingredients and a big bowl you are set. The only thing this recipe needs is some patience while you wait for the dough to rise.
What if I don’t like raspberry and chocolate?
This recipe is versatile and allows you to do whatever you like for a topping. Leave them plain and slice open to add peanut butter. Add chocolate chips to the dough for a chocolate chip bun. Add icing sugar and cinnamon for a cinnabun style bun. The options are as endless as ones creativity allows. I would even go as far as to say I would slice this open and eat it with avocado or pan fried mushrooms. Yup! That’s how versatile they are.
How long can I keep these fresh?
These will only stay fresh for 2 days in an airtight container. Like any fresh pastry and donut, the longer you leave them the harder they become. Plus they will go stale. I do however recommend freezing them (without the toppings) in an airtight container if you have lots of leftovers and heating them in an oven to eat again. A microwave heated pastry will leave you disappointed forever!
Looking for a chocolate sauce recipe? Look no further, I used this recipe for mine.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter to receive weekly updates and follow me on instagram. If you give this recipe a try, tag me and give me a rating. I would love to know what you think.
Chocolate Raspberry buns
- 3 1/2 Cups Cake flour 1/2 is for rolling out
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp instant yeast
- 4 tsp vegan egg
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- In a large bowl, sift your flour leaving 1/2 cup aside for later.
- Mix the vegan egg with 4 tbsp water and set aside.
- Add your yeast to your warm water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Melt your coconut oil.
- Add the salt and sugar to the flour and stir.
- Combine the milk, oil and yeast then slowly pour into flour while stirring. Add the vegan egg. If using a beater, use the kneading tool. If using your hands, knead the mixture until well combined and a nice ball forms. You can add a dash more of flour if it’s too sticky.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and place in a warm spot to rise for an hour.
- You can now make your chocolate sauce if you like.
- Once risen, pre-heat oven to 350F or 200C.
- Lightly flour your clean surface. Place the risen dough on the surface.
- Roll out until 1cm or roughly 1/2 an inch thick.
- Cut into strips with a sharp knife and roll up the strip, tucking the end underneath.
- Place all the rolls on a baking tray lined with baking paper or sprayed with oil.
- Brush the tops with some almond milk.
- Bake for 20-25minutes until golden brown on top.
- Once cooled, add chocolate sauce and top with raspberries.