We all have at least an hour to cook a meal daily right?
And not everyone wants to cook an hour if you did have the time. I guess cooking is not for everyone and we all lead busy lives and would rather spend time with friends and family when we do have extra time. While I might have time on my side, I’ve never been one to spend hours and hours in a kitchen on a home meal, nor do I want to start.
My goal is always to achieve a delicious meal in 30minutes or less. And to optimize on this time pop your earphones in and listen to a podcast or dance along to your favorite tunes.
I’m currently in a hotel (until the end of December =/) with no oven so my appliances are limited and and I’m not letting that stop me from thinking of a decent meal.
I made this Shepherd’s pie with leftover cooked lentils and the few ingredients I had on hand. It didn’t disappoint and the leftovers were great for lunch the next day.
20 minute Vegan Curried Shepherds pie with Cauliflower mash
- 2 cans lentils or 3 cups cooked lentils Can be replaced with soya mince
- 1 Tbsp oil of choice
- 1 can diced tomato
- 2 Tbsp soya sauce Tamari/liquid aminos for gluten free
- 1 Tbsp curry power
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli optional
- Fresh basil
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast or Daiya cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 50 ml almond milk 1.6 ounces
- Chop onions roughly and wash cauliflower florets.
- Heat pan with oil, sauté garlic, onions and curry powder then add the cooked or drained lentils.
- Add the soya sauce, tomato, chilli, smoked paprika and cook on high for 5 minutes then reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Boil cauliflower for 10 minutes and drain. In a blender add milk, cauliflower, salt and nutritional yeast or cheese slice and blend or mash. This should have the consistency of mashed potato but will be slightly less firm.
- Smooth the lentil mixture evenly in the pan and pour the cauliflower mixture on top smoothing it over with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle with a dash of smoked paprika and fresh basil and enjoy.